IH Chiang Mai’s general English courses are engaging and communication based.
From speaking and listening to reading and writing, we’ll cover all the basic skills of the English language in a way that will help you to learn quickly and easily.
We have classes for all ages:
- Young Teens (13 – 15)– Lively, fun classes with an emphasis on topics such as animals, the Earth, and meeting friends. There are many team based activities to keep learning fun.
- Teenager (16 – 18 years old) – Class subjects range from films, music, and technology to modern life and university. The classes are taught with a mix of team based and physical activities to keep the Teenagers interested.
- Adult (18+ years old) – Communicative classes that include real-world topics like jobs, money, relationships and family.
This is the start of your journey. Learn basic English, including numbers, the alphabet and essential vocabulary. Very soon you will be able to:
- Find specific information on leaflets and timetables.
- Understand and make simple sentences.
- Introduce yourself and speak about yourself, your family and where you are from.
- Speak about your day-to-day life, your plans for the future and things that you did in the past.
At the end of the course you will be able to ask for information, go shopping, go to a restaurant and write simple emails – all in English!
If you have studied English for a year or so, this could be the right course for you! After finishing this course you will be able to:
- Talk about where you live, and compare it to other places.
- Describe your daily life, occupation or studies, and your interests and hobbies.
- Give opinions and speculate about the world around you.
- Understand and give instructions to describe how something is done.
At the end of this course you will have everything under control when you plan your next trip to London or New York, or when an English-speaking friend comes to visit you!
If you pass the Lower Intermediate course, it means you will:
- Be able to express yourself on familiar topics such as family, hobbies and jobs.
- Have enough vocabulary to communicate in everyday familiar situations.
- Be able to initiate and maintain a simple face-to-face conversation on the topics that interest you, such as hobbies or jobs.
- Understand texts which contain everyday or job-related language and write simple texts on familiar topics.
- Understand the main points of simple “standard” speech on familiar matters.
Not quite enough to apply for the job of your dreams in the USA yet, but you’re getting there.
After you’ve finished your Mid-Intermediate course you will:
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language to describe common situations, and will be able to present the main points of an idea and describe events in a simple manner.
- Be able to understand general texts which express ideas in a straightforward way and write personal letters which describe events, desires and feelings.
- Have the ability to formulate long pieces of continuous writing with details and factual information or a description of simple events.
- Be able to understand longer stretches of speech and more complex messages in a familiar context.
You are not fluent yet, but you will dare to talk to strangers in exotic places!
If you successfully complete the Upper Intermediate course, you will:
- Have a sufficient knowledge of the language to describe people, places and processes, express opinions and develop arguments using both basic structures and some complex forms.
- Have a wide range of vocabulary for general topics and your job.
- Be able to contribute to group discussions and maintain a conversation with native speakers.
- Understand reports and articles about contemporary issues.
- Be able to present an argument or information in writing following standard layout conventions.
- Understand longer stretches of speech and the main points of discussions which are clearly expressed.
You are now at the point where you start amazing yourself with the amount of English you can understand – and express.
At this level you are able to confidently express yourself in English. At the end of the course you will:
- Be able to understand virtually all conversations as well as many television programmes and films.
- Understand most complex factual and literary texts as well as texts on fields that you are not familiar with.
- Be able to communicate effectively in different situations as well as use a wide range of vocabulary.
- Be able to write clear and well-structured texts in an appropriate style.
You are well on your way to be able to consider getting a job in an English speaking country.
You are now starting to think and dream in English. Students successfully finishing the Advanced course will have:
- A wide range of language to select from in order to express themselves.
- A good command of idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms.
- The ability to use the language effectively for social purposes and adjust the register accordingly.
- The ability to express themselves orally in a clear, fluent and well-structured manner.
- An understanding of long and complex factual and literary texts.
- The ability to note differences in style.
- No problems writing about complex subjects in a clearly organised coherent way and understanding the majority of spoken language in virtually all contexts.
You are now extremely confident when speaking and writing. You don’t really think about how to say things – you just say them and maybe even dream in English.
IH Chiang Mai will help you to learn and grow, all while having fun!
To find out how IH Chiang Mai can help you, contact us at in[email protected] and book your free assessment test.