- You must be at least 18 years old although the recommended age is 20 or over.
- You must be aware of language and possess a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables the course to be attempted successfully.
- You must have the potential to develop the skills needed to become a capable teacher and to successfully carry out teaching practice and complete your written assignments.
- You are most likely to be successful in your application for the course if you have formal qualifications that would enable you to enter higher education in your home country.
There are a few other things to consider…
We have some ‘unofficial requirements’ you should think about before applying. We don’t want to put you off, we just want to make sure you’re approaching the CELTA realistically:
- You have a genuine interest in teaching English.
- You have a basic knowledge of the way English works or are able to learn quickly.
- You get on well with other people.
- You want a practical, rather than an academic, teaching qualification.
- You can reflect critically on your own performance, and that of others, and provide fair and balanced feedback.
- You can explain concisely, instruct clearly, and assist sympathetically.
- You are ready for four weeks (full time) or ten weeks (part time) of challenging work.
If you’re prepared to take the next step and start your journey to becoming an English Language Teacher, click on CELTA application to download the application. If you’d like more information about the IH Chiang Mai CELTA course in person, come and see our schools in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket.
Alternatively, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is an initial training course for native English speakers or those with near-native fluency. Every course follows a set syllabus, is moderated by an external assessor, and can only be delivered in centers approved by Cambridge ESOL. It is intended for those with no previous teaching experience, or those who are already working but who lack formal qualifications or training. It is the most highly-regarded certificate in the industry.
Awarded by Cambridge ESOL, affiliated with the world-renowned University of Cambridge, the CELTA is accepted, trusted and valued worldwide, and gives a significant advantage to newly qualified teachers looking for their first teaching position.
The Pre-Course Task
After you have been successful in your course application, we will send you a workbook to complete before your course starts. This should take around 20 hours (depending on your current knowledge) and aims to get you thinking about the areas covered on the course.
It is not assessed – in fact we’ll supply the answer key! – but it’s likely you’ll need to refer to it during the course so make sure you bring it with you.
If you want particular dates or accommodation, we encourage you to apply as early as possible to avoid being disappointed – our courses are very popular and often fill up quickly.
Click on CELTA application to download the form.
For more details and an example syllabus, visit the Cambridge ESOL website.