We are proud and delighted to introduce to you, our trainers in residence:
- B.A. Business Studies – Swansea, UK
- M.A. Applied Linguistics – Birmingham, UK
- Cambridge CELTA – Paignton, Devon, UK
- Cambridge DELTA – Cambridge, UK
- Cambridge CELTA Trainer
- Cambridge ESOL Oral Examiner
- IELTS Examiner
- MBA International Banking and Finance (pending) – Birmingham, UK
My name is Danny and I am the Managing Director at International House Bangkok setting up courses and programmes and taking care of the day to day running of the school. However, I am a teacher at heart, teaching all ages as much as I can and I also enjoy training teachers on our Cambridge CELTA courses whenever needed. I have been a teacher for 18 years in the UK, Italy and Thailand since 1997. In Thailand I have enjoyed teaching students from prestigious international schools and here happily with IH Bangkok for more than 10 years. In fact I liked it so much that I got married and my daughter Jasmine (8) comes to IH to study English for Young Learners courses as well.
I have prided myself on successfully teaching students for exams whilst at the same time having fun. We have had a 100% pass rate for Cambridge ESOL KET, PET and FCE in many, many exam sessions and also helped international school students get ‘A’s for many subjects including IGCSE English, IGCSE ESL and IGCSE business studies – I leave the other IGCSE subjects to IH Bangkok teachers who know better. I have also been very fortunate to teach a lot of talented students from Thai schools who have gone on to get the King’s scholarship, the Thai government scholarship and the Japanese government scholarship all to study abroad to a masters or doctorate level. Out of school, I enjoy following and playing sports including squash, cycling round the countryside of Thailand, swimming and cheering for Tottenham Hotspur.
- MA Honours in English and Drama, Glasgow University
- CTEFLA, Hammersmith & West London College
- DTEFLA, Waltham Forest College, London
- CELTA Trainer Approval, Capital Language Academy, Wellington, New Zealand
Barry was born in England and educated in Ireland and Scotland. He started his teaching career as a university lecturer in English literature in Wellington and then Melbourne but he has been teaching English as a foreign language since 1987, first in Spain and later in London. He became a CELTA trainer in 1996 and since then, he has trained in Greece, New Zealand, Thailand and Vietnam. He dreams of having breaks between CELTA courses long enough to play the piano, to walk in mountains, to watch live performances of 17th and 20th century drama and to get back to writing fiction again. In practice, he is usually only able to spend his spare time deep inside books and trying the patience of his partner.
- BA Honours in South East Asian Studies, University of London
- DELTA, Oxford House College, London
- CELTA Trainer Approval, Oxford House College, London, UK
Matt was born in London. After completing a B.A. in South East Asian Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London, he moved to Jakarta, Indonesia where he taught at an English language school. He taught English language courses around the globe before becoming involved in teacher training in 2005. He began working as a CELTA tutor in 2006. Matt’s hobbies include running, playing football and supporting Spurs. “After completion of a Cambridge CELTA course, you’ll feel like you have the tools to give you confidence whoever you teach and wherever you teach,” says Matt. “That’s why I enjoy running the course so much, it meets the trainees’ needs so well.”
- BA in English, Oberlin College, Ohio, USA
- CELTA British Council, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- DELTA IH Budapest, Hungary
Sze was born and grew up in Malaysia, and went to university in the US. She began teaching in 1999 and training in 2005. She has lived and worked in various cities including Kunming and Katowice. She hopes one day to eat at a reopened El Bulli.
- Thai and South East Asia Studies, Leeds University
- Trinity TESOL, Combe Cliff College, Croydon, UK
- DELTA, British Council, Sri Lanka
- CELTA Trainer Approval, Bangkok, Thailand
Rufus was born near London and educated in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire. He started his teaching career in 1994 and then taught for a year in Burgos, Spain. He returned to London for a year before moving to Thailand where he lived until 2001. After completing teaching contracts in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka he has returned to Thailand to take up the position of teacher trainer at IH Chiang Mai’s Teacher Training Centre in Chiang Mai. In his spare time he enjoys motorcycling, walking and caving.
- BA Honours, Philosophy and English, University of York
- CTEFLA Bell School, Bowthorpe Hall, Norwich
- DTEFLA IH Sahafayeen, Cairo
- CTEFLA Trainer Approval IH Sahafayeen, Cairo
Percy was born in the South of England, raised in the East and educated in the North. He began teaching in 1985 and has worked abroad since 1987. Since becoming a trainer in 1992 he has delivered CELTA/CTEFLA courses in Egypt, Cyprus, Thailand, Australia, India, Bangladesh, and Qatar. In his free time he sings folk songs, reads, tries to write, and watches Rugby Union. He’s grown out of specific ambitions, but would like to go up country in Ethiopia, and visit Latin America.
- BA (Hons) PPE, Oxford University, UK
- MMUS Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, UK
- Trinity TESOL, Windsor Schools, UK
- Cambridge DELTA, IH Bangkok, Thailand
Tim did most of his teaching in Moscow, Russia, but has also worked at Leicester University, Uk and Chulalongkorn university, Bangkok. He was one of the first people to study the DELTA at IH Bangkok and later trained up as CELTA trainer at the same centre. He loves music and his home town Bath, which he always enjoys returning to.